Getting a Custom URL on YouTube would be a great thing for your branding. But, sometimes you may not be able to claim your own brand name for some issues. We encountered same issue. This issue is common and I see thousands of people have this. In this short article, we will cover the issue, how to get it resolved.
YouTube Custom URL – Add a Few Extra Letters or numbers
We have spent many months trying to figure out the best way to get this Custom URL thing fixed. Everytime we would go to the YouTube Advanced Settings, it would always show us the below error asking to “add a few characters” at the end of the channel actual brand URL. it would say at the bottom “Many people have the same name. Add a few extra letters or numbers to make this URL unique to you”
The irony is that, our Brand name was already there and there was no need to add any extra characters. Also, no one was using that URL or brand name. So, technically the custom URL was available and it seemed like a bug to us.
Options Tried to Fix Custom URL Issue
We have tried many things. Below are some of the different things that we tried and did not work. You can see all user suggestions at Youtube Help Threads
- Changing the Display name in profile of the Youtube account
- Updating the Google+ account with different name
- Changing the Channel Name something else by removing some characters and try for custom URL
Finally, we tried the bookish way to start over again. Below is the solution that fixed the issue of custom URL for YouTube
How to fix YouTube Custom URL issue – Add a Few Characters ?
There are two main ways to fix this. First we will cover the option that worked for us. We tried both ways, but our first one was faster.
Option 1 – Contact YouTube help Team using Chat
- Step 1 : Go to get a Custom Channel URL Help page
- Step 2 : You will see a small text at the end that says “Contact our Creator Support Team”. You need to click on that. See below screenshot
- Step 3 : It will open up a page that will have ways to contact the YouTube Help team. It may be custom for you as a user. But, here is the link to Contact YouTube Support Team
- Step 4 : You have the option to Email or Chat. You will see it like below
- Step 5 : Choose the English Chat option as it is available 24×7
- Step 6 : You need to enter your Channel Name and then start chat. it will look like below
- Step 6 : You will chat with a real person, explain your situation. They are really nice and they will try to solve it, if they can. See below sample of their exact chat transcript for your info.
- Step 7 : if they cannot solve it, they will tell that, they will email you with the details. For our case, they could not solve it there. So, they emailed next day.
- Step 8 : You will get email telling that the issue is fixed and they reserved it for you. See below. It will clearly tell the steps.
- Step 9 : You go to YouTube.com/account_advanced , where you see the Custom URL setting. You will get a pop up telling that you have the URL reserved for your brand. It would be the one that you told the person in chat. See below.
- All you need to do is check the box and click on Change URL, it will fix the issue and you will get your custom URL.
Option 2 – Contact YouTube help Team using Twitter
Your second option is to use the Twitter Channel of Youtube Help. They are very responsive too. They did respond to my second request.
- Step 1: Go to Twitter account of TeamYouTube
- Step 2 : Click on Tweet
- Step 3 : Add your issue briefly in the pop-up that comes. Put in a screenshot.
- Step 4 : You will get a response from the team within a day. If they do not respond in a day or two, resend the tweet using the steps above again. Sometimes, they miss messages. I did not get response in the first time, then i tried second time. Once you get a response, they will continue the thread and help you. See below thread on their response. This should also solve the issue. For us the chat worked, before this team could help. I replied telling them that the issue is resolved.
Did you had the same issue ? How did you get this solved ?